Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Back to the Field

I can't believe that the year has flown by so fast as I find myself back in Bariloche, Patagonian Argentina, for another field season. This marks my 7th year here and, though I do not really need the data for my dissertation, I have come to assist John and Eileen as we determine the future of this particular study. We will be here for about a month and then head north to the puna, 13,000 feet high elevation, to continue studying the new social tuco.

We just arrived this morning, after two plane rides and a 22 hour bus ride. Our field truck is still in the shop and we hope it is done by tomorrow so that we can get out to our camp. The picture above is a view from where we set up our tents. Many of you know that this has been a crazy year for me. I taught my first biology class at a nearby university and have been hard at work in the lab and writing to finish my dissertation. At the same time, I have been applying for jobs and was hired to teach marine mammals at Santa Rosa Junior College this spring. I interviewed for a couple of other jobs, one which represents my dream job up in the San Juan Islands. We'll see, but for now, it's time to let go of the crazy stress that defines me in Berkeley and enjoy the wild tucos while the Patagonian wind does it's magic on me yet again.

I hope to keep the blog up but don't know how often we will make it to town... follow along if you want and write me whenever you can. I love it. I think myself very lucky to go on these bio-exploring adventures with the hope that it will never end.

1 comment: