Sunday, January 17, 2010

On the Beach




Well, it's been nearly a month now and I haven't posted a thing. You'd think from these pictures, I've only been relaxing and playing but inbetween, there's been a heck of a lot of field work in a completely different Argentina than I have seen before. Over the next couple of weeks, I will post the story of Jujuy or really, north of Jujuy, in a place called Los Pozuelos where we spent 3 weeks catching a tuco whose identity is not clearly known. The field site is a much harsher landscape than what I'm use to down near Bariloche, but the tucos are fascinating. They are definitely social but with different social habits than sociabilis.

I arrived in Mar del Plata, a city south of Buenos Aires and known as one of the hot vacation spots in Argentina, on 12 Jan after depositing my paperwork for permits in Buenos Aires. John, Anna and I (Eileen has gone home to teach classes) are hanging on the beach with good friends, Ana Paula and Alfredo, relaxing, eating asado and John is in heaven playing volleyball. I know you all feel sorry for me... not! But really, besides still missing home, I have come down with some stomach "bug" which has not made the time entirely perfect. Fortunately, Alfredo is a doctor and I am hoping the meds he suggested will work. Anna (fellow student from Berkeley) and I will head back to BA on Tuesday to finish up with permits and meet John for our flight home on Wednesday night. I have much more to tell and great pics to post over the next few weeks. Thanks for all the comments and emails... no worries to those of you who find this blog thing a bit complicated. Soon!

1 comment:

  1. time flies when you are having fun! my plan is to get to torres del paine dec 2012. will planet earth continue spinning on its axis?
    is this your last year? how's your spanish?

    take care!

    ReplyDelete